Today, the Municipality of Oeiras announced the creation of a set of measures to fight the Covid-19 outbreak that will entail, in total, a budgetary increase of 2.5 million euros.
Among them is the creation of an extraordinary financial endowment, worth 1 million euros, for the acquisition of essential equipment to fight the epidemic. Of this amount, 700 thousand euros will be earmarked for the purchase of fans and 300 thousand euros for the acquisition of other essential material, namely, electrical syringes, waterproof coats, waterproof coveralls, buttons, visors, glasses and masks.
In social support, the Social Emergency Fund will be reinforced by 750 thousand euros (from 250 thousand euros to 1 million euros) for the future needs of residents.
The amount available for the Social Emergency Fund for workers will also be doubled, available for workers in the municipality, special protection equipment will be purchased for the Public Security Police and prison service workers in Oeiras.
Municipal market concessionaires will be exempt from fees, and a social emergency line and a social emergency plan will be created for the delivery of meals, medicines and home shopping delivery.
The Municipality also recalls, in a statement, that the evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic requires public authorities to permanently update the appropriate measures to safeguard public health, individual well-being and working conditions for those who, at this stage, need to work. In this sense, in addition to the measures previously announced, the Municipality of Oeiras reported today on the following decisions made:
- All workers whose functions are liable to be carried out through telecommuting are placed in this condition – and, if it is essential, must report to work if so requested;
- All workers considered to be in the at risk group (for reasons of health or age) will be telecommuting or, if their functions do not allow it, they will be exempted from attending the workplace – except if considered essential to the service;
- Cancellation of all municipal assistance to the public, except with prior appointment for urgent matters;
- Regular disinfection of all municipal facilities and/or transport;
- Daily temperature measurement for service employees;
- Acquisition of a test package for service employees;
- Reinforcement of protective equipment for service employees, municipal police and civil protection, reinforcing the municipal budget in this area by 500 thousand euros.
- Immediate closure of all fenced parks and gardens, except the Municipal Garden of Oeiras and the Garden of the Palácio dos Aciprestes, as they are spaces for crossing and circulation;
- Closure of the Oeiras Recreational Port;
- Immediate closure of all playgrounds;
- Immediate closure of public fitness equipment;
- Suspension of all terrace licenses;
- Cancellation of all events, whether public or private, in public spaces;
- Cancellation of all markets, except those regarding food supply;
- Suspension of payment for parking meters;
- Disinfection of public space and stops for public transport.
The Municipality of Oeiras also underlines in a statement: “These measures, which take effect immediately and should last until 30 April, and can be re-evaluated at any time, represent the effort and commitment of the Municipality of Oeiras to stop the Covid-19 pandemic. However, they are not a substitute for the civic spirit that each one must have in order to avoid further spread of the disease and, therefore, it is called for every one of us to follow the measures recommended by the health authorities“.