A new generation of housing policies in Oeiras was presented by the Mayor, Isaltino Morais, on 14 May. The municipal housing plan foresees the construction of close to 2,000 dwellings by 2030, in a total investment of around 400 million euros.
The Mayor of Oeiras, Isaltino Morais, presented the third generation of housing policies in the municipality, on 14 May, at Templo da Poesia, in Parque dos Poetas. At the same time, an exhibition entitled ‘In Oeiras, everyone has the right to adequate housing’ was officially opened.
The new generation of housing policies, which encompasses six strategic fronts of action to address the needs diagnosed by the executive, aims to benefit “a diverse population, but one that has housing shortages as a common denominator”, said Isaltino Morais.
The planned investments were presented by the Mayor, who took the opportunity to take stock of the work carried out in previous years, recalling that “the eradication of shacks, which really were a blot on the landscape, did not satisfy everyone’s needs. Sometimes, behind a very beautiful building there can be an annex or a garage where a family lives in degrading conditions”.
The municipality’s third generation of housing policies can be broken down into six specific programmes aimed at the distinct deficiencies identified by the executive:
- Oeiras Social – Promotion of new municipal housing programmes, as well as the upgrading of municipal districts
- Oeiras Youth – Promotion of a municipal housing programme at controlled costs aimed at young people, together with the invigoration of historic centres with youth housing
- Oeiras Senior – Promotion of new types of housing for the elderly and/or isolated
- Oeiras Protect – Promotion of temporary accommodation for emergency situations; the homeless and victims of domestic violence
- Oeiras Lease – Promotion of tax incentives in private leasing
- Oeiras for All – Housing programmes aimed at the middle class: affordable rent programme; Controlled cost sale programme.
The press conference to present the measures took place on the same day as the exhibition ‘In Oeiras, everyone has the right to adequate housing’, which was visited by the Secretary of State for Housing, Marina Gonçalves, on the 17th.
In this exhibition, which after the Templo da Poesia will continue to other venues in the municipality, you can find the projects of the third generation of housing policies of the Municipal Council of Oeiras and learn about the investment programmes to be implemented by the Municipality.
There is also a retrospective of the developments carried out by the Municipal Council in the 1st and 2nd generations of municipal policies, which involved the construction of 18 municipal districts, with a total of 3,454 dwellings.